When to Schedule Home Air Duct Cleaning Services
Homeowners concerned about indoor air quality are often unsure when to schedule an air duct cleaning service. Experts generally suggest it every three to five years. It’s not needed annually or more frequently like an AC tune-up, assuming you change the filters regularly and stay current with HVAC maintenance.
Many pollutants can be collected in your ductwork. Some, like smoke particles, volatile organic compounds, mold, chemicals, pesticides, etc., can be harmful. Contamination may also reduce HVAC performance and efficiency. Therefore, following our advice for scheduling air duct cleaning services can be beneficial.
When Is Best to Consider Air Duct Cleaning?
Since there’s no solid guideline on when to clean air ducts, it can be difficult to know when to call a contractor. But requesting the help of a ductwork professional is a good idea if:
- Your Ductwork Has Never Been Cleaned: Perhaps it’s been years, or decades, since your air ducts were installed, or they haven’t been professionally cleaned since you moved into your home. We suggest at least scheduling an inspection to see if your ducts are dirty.
- You’ve Recently Renovated/Remodeled Your Home: Dust and debris easily become airborne during renovation or remodeling work and can be blown into air ducts. Once inside, contamination can build up and recirculate.
- There’s Construction Near Your Home: Construction creates dust and particles that can find their way into your home and HVAC ducts. If your home is near a construction site, consider having your air ducts checked, and if necessary, cleaned.
- High Air Pollution Affects Your Area: Polluted air can contain particulates, smoke, and chemicals that can enter your home in many ways. If your city or community often experiences low air quality, consider more frequent duct cleaning.
- It’s a Season You Don’t Need the System: You can’t use your HVAC system while the duct cleaning company is working. Therefore, we recommend scheduling an air duct cleaning service in the spring or fall. It generally takes just a few hours and avoids being without your AC or heater during a hot or cold day.
Signs You Should Schedule Duct Cleaning Now
There are also more obvious signs that air duct cleaning would be beneficial. Schedule service with a local HVAC company if:
- Mold Is Growing Around Vents: If vents are moldy or have dark spots, mold is likely inside the ductwork and circulating. Left unchecked, mold growth can cause serious health issues and damage your HVAC system.
- Air Vents Are Dusty: Dusty vents can indicate widespread contamination in your ductwork and potential clogs. Call for help if dust and debris are collecting around air vents and are visible inside them.
- Odors Are Noticeable Throughout Your Home: Musty or stale odors can come from contaminated ductwork. Duct cleaning can remove the materials and substances that are causing them.
- There Are Insects or Rodents In Your Ducts: If you hear strange sounds or see insects, rodents, or their associated waste and debris, there’s a risk of serious air quality problems. Schedule a duct cleaning to remove pests and clean and sanitize your ducts.
- Your HVAC System’s Performance Declines: Call a ductwork professional if your home isn’t reaching the right temperature, airflow seems limited, or your HVAC unit runs constantly. They can clear clogged ducts to restore normal performance.
What Does the EPA Say?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) admits cleaning air ducts doesn’t guarantee better indoor air quality. Pollutants can enter your home from many sources. Cleaning, cooking, and other activities can contribute to indoor air contamination. The EPA also notes the conditions in every home are different. So, whether your house is dusty, you suffer from allergies or unexplained symptoms, or odors are present, it may be helpful to inspect your air ducts. If they’re contaminated, air duct cleaning can resolve indoor air quality problems—if it’s done properly.
Call NexGen for Home Air Duct Cleaning Services in Southern California
A leading HVAC company in the region, NexGen performs air duct cleaning that can remove harmful particles, debris, and other pollutants. Our fully licensed, insured technicians use HEPA vacuums and deodorizing methods to clean and sanitize ductwork. In addition, we can clear blockages, seal leaks, and repair ductwork. For affordable air duct cleaning services in Los Angeles, Orange County, and surrounding areas, call (833) 729-9735 today.