Do Mini Splits Purify the Air in Your Home?
Unlike a central air conditioner, a mini-split system does not have ductwork, which can contribute to indoor air quality (IAQ) concerns. It consists of an outdoor unit and indoor air handlers. A refrigerant passes through the system to absorb heat so the system can provide heating or cooling. So, how do mini splits purify the air if they don’t use ductwork to circulate it around your home?
Why Install a Mini-Split System
Mini-splits can be installed in structures where it’s not possible to install ductwork. Other advantages include setting each room to a different temperature, establishing zoning for occupants with additional heating or cooling needs, and shutting off indoor units in unoccupied rooms to save energy.
Improved IAQ is also a significant benefit many people don’t know about. Ductless mini-splits are quite effective at keeping indoor air safe and clean. They can help decrease allergies, discomfort, and the risk of asthma and other illnesses.
How Mini-Splits Help Improve Indoor Air Quality
Ducted systems are notorious for efficiency issues and intrusion of contaminants like dust, dirt, bacteria, mold, chemicals, organic matter, and other materials that can decrease indoor air quality. A ductless mini-split avoids these problems with the following:
- No Ductwork: It’s less likely for a ductless system to collect pollutants and then recirculate them. Since there are no ducts, leakage of conditioned air, broken ducts and cracks or gaps where particles can enter are not a concern. This reduces the risk of breathing in contaminants.
- High-Quality Filters: A built-in filter allows each indoor air handler to remove dust, dirt, pet dander, debris, mold spores, allergens, and even bacteria. Alternative filters may be available, including anti-allergy enzyme filters, antimicrobial filters, and active carbon filters that trap microscopic airborne particles. NexGen provides a wide range of air quality solutions depending on your needs and concerns.
- Dehumidifiers: Mini-splits also dehumidify the air, whether running in heating or cooling mode. Some have a dry mode independent of cooling. Removing moisture from the air helps prevent mold and mildew growth, especially in dark, damp areas like bathrooms and basements. This can prevent musky smells and some allergy symptoms.
- Improved Efficiency: Mini-split filters remove more contaminants and allow for more efficient airflow. Multi-speed motors automatically adjust to demand. Traditional ACs turn off or run at full blast, but mini-splits can operate at different levels and have high SEER and HSPF ratings. Conditioned air is distributed directly, so both efficiency and air quality improvements are realized.
- Flexible Installation: Installed on a wall, ceiling, or above the floor, air handlers can be placed to optimize airflow and accessibility. They’re easier to clean and maintain as well. This makes it less likely you’ll neglect maintenance that includes cleaning filters and checking the unit for dirt, thereby resulting in cleaner air. The filter should be removed and wiped clean every four to six weeks.
- UV Lamps: An ultraviolet lamp can be integrated into mini-split systems to destroy most microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, and mold. It can also help reduce maintenance requirements and allow your system to run more efficiently.
Install Mini-Splits That Purify the Air In Your Home
NexGen specializes in the installation, repair, and maintenance of ductless heating and cooling systems in Southern California. We provide a range of air quality services as well. Our goal is to ensure the comfort, efficiency, and safety of our client's homes. To learn more, book your service online or call 833-729-9735 today.
- Cover electrical sockets with plugs or seals.
- Place a fan near an open window when you see or smell smoke.
- Apply weatherstripping to windows to block outdoor smoke.
- Use a door sweep or draft guard to block smoke from outside.
Contact NexGen for Indoor Air Quality Solutions
NexGen can address air quality issues with a range of options. If cigarette smoke, mold, volatile organic compounds, carbon monoxide, or other pollutants are found in your home, we will help make air quality improvements. Air purification and filtration systems can be installed or we can help improve ventilation (duct cleaning, installing dehumidifiers, and furnace repair can help as well).
To learn more about our indoor air quality services in Southern California and request service, call 833-729-9735 today.