Can Water Heater Repair Improve Efficiency?
Improved efficiency is one of the greatest benefits of water heater repair. A technician can correct issues that cause the unit to be overworked and consume more energy. We’ll explain in more detail how repairing your water heater enables it to run more efficiently.
If your water heater needs to be repaired, its efficiency can be reduced due to these factors:
- The System Uses More Electricity: If a burner or heating element is malfunctioning or there’s a problem with an electrical connection, the unit may draw more power. Therefore, it becomes less energy efficient.
- An Increase in Water Usage: A struggling water heater will take longer to produce hot water. Therefore, you’ll leave a water faucet or fixture running longer, so water is wasted as you wait for it to become hot. Water heater repair can improve efficiency simply by reducing water consumption.
- A Heating Element Fails: An electric water heater usually has two heating elements. The second element will work twice as hard if the first breaks, causing the water heater to work less efficiently.
- Sediment in the Tank: A water heater in disrepair may have sediment in the tank. It typically originates from minerals in the water that crystalize and settle to the bottom. A buildup of sediment slows down the system and forces it to use more energy.
Water Heater Repairs Help Improve Energy Efficiency
A problem with a gas control, burner, or temperature-pressure relief valve can interfere with the unit’s water-heating ability. To restore performance, the technician can check for, find, and fix these issues. Replacing a small component is often enough. But a lack of hot water can also be due to a faulty thermostat. Call for help if adjusting the thermostat doesn’t increase or decrease water temperature.
However, if the tank is leaking, the water heater will have to be replaced. A leaky tank can significantly reduce efficiency. The system will also struggle to maintain the proper water temperature. Leaking water can increase your water bill and cause water damage as well.
Other Ways to Improve Water Heater Efficiency
Water heater repair comes in many forms, and maintenance is also important. You don’t have to wait for the water heater to break down for a technician to help it run more efficiently. Here are a few ways they can reduce energy consumption:
- Flush the Water Heater: You can follow the manufacturer’s instructions for draining sediment from the tank. Or, you can hire a technician who can quickly flush the tank to ensure the system runs at peak efficiency.
- Insulate the Tank and Pipes: Heat energy can escape through the tank and the piping connected to your water heater. By insulating the water storage tank and exposed piping, heat loss can be minimized. An insulation blanket is an easy and inexpensive way to protect the tank.
- Install a Volt Timer: A tank water heater works 24/7 to keep water hot. If you have an electric unit, a contractor can install a volt timer that turns it off at night when you are asleep. That’s one-third of the day the unit isn’t consuming energy.
Call NexGen for Water Heater Repair
Whether you need help with water heater repair or installation, you can trust NexGen for high-quality service. Our licensed, experienced technicians ensure water heaters in homes and businesses across Southern California work flawlessly. They can diagnose and fix any problem to improve your system’s performance and efficiency. To request help, book service online or call (833) 729-9735.